WEEK COMMENCING 15th JULY 2019
Metabolism Part 2
What can I do to speed up my metabolism?
10 of the most effective ways of boosting your metabolism and burn more calories:
- Eat a good breakfast (Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince, and eat Supper like a Pauper) – you are less likely to crave a mid-morning snack if you eat breakfast – especially a high protein one
- Drink Green Tea - new evidence shows the active ingredient, catechin, may increase metabolism
- Aerobic activity. Aerobic exercise is the most effective way to burn calories (high intensity interval training helps too - HIIT)
- Strength training. Muscle burns more calories than fat, so increasing your muscle mass will help you lose weight
- Be active. Try to make activity part of your daily routine, walking, standing, gardening, etc.
- Eat Plenty of Protein at Every Meal. Eating protein can increase your metabolism for a few hours, and keep you feeling full for longer
- Drink skimmed milk or low fat yogurt to boost your calcium intake. Calcium helps your body metabolise fat more effectively
- Drink 2-3 litres of water a day
- Get a good night's sleep – sleep plays a vital role in regulating the metabolism and appetite
- Spice up your food - eating chillies (such as jalapeno and cayenne peppers) increase the body's release of certain hormones (adrenaline), which stimulates the metabolism and increases calorie burn and curb your appetite
Sources: NHS, Women's Health Magazine and www.healthyfoodguide.com